This page connects communities with people and resources. If you have questions or contributions, please contact email@example.com for more information.
Grow Appalachia Coordinator at High Rocks
We are seeking a part-time coordinator to work from Hillsboro, WV to increase access to locally grown produce and promote the local food economy. Grow Appalachia supports families and organizations to grow vegetables in home and community gardens using organic practices. Responsibilities of the coordinator will include overseeing: recruitment of participants and partners, ordering and distribution of supplies, development of income sources, educational programming and outreach, reporting to funders, supervision of AmeriCorps members, and direct service to area gardeners. Qualities sought include strong written and oral communication skills, knowledge of organic gardening, facility with Microsoft Office applications, and management experience. Hourly rate commensurate with experience. Start time December or January. Please send resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org . Call 304-653-4891 ext. 112 for more information.
Posted: August 28, 2014
American Lung Association in the Mid-Atlantic
The American Lung Association, the nation’s oldest voluntary health agency, helping over 35 million Americans suffering from Lung Disease, has the following career opportunities available. Come join our team and help communities in DE, NJ, PA, and WV fight various lung diseases and environmental poisons that damage our lungs and the communities where we live and work. As a valued employee, you can expect a comprehensive benefits package, competitive salary, and a flexible, business casual work environment. If you are looking for a career with impact, we would love to hear from you! See details below.
Full -Time Opportunities
Regional Tobacco Prevention Coordinator – West Virginia
Position provides technical assistance on tobacco prevention related issues such as: eliminating exposure to second hand smoke, promoting quitting tobacco use and prevention of youth initiation of tobacco use. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining an active presence of tobacco prevention and cessation efforts in local counties and coalitions serving Gilmer, Braxton, Lewis, Upshur and Barbour counties. Deliverables include: initiating work to strengthen county Clean Indoor Air (CIA) Regulations, promoting the West Virginia Tobacco Quit line, promoting cessation (including the Save Face spit tobacco prevention program), providing technical assistance in youth tobacco prevention and awarding and monitoring community and college tobacco prevention mini-grants. Salary range is low to mid $30,000 range with the opportunity for career advancement.
· Qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in public health or related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
· Must be a self starter with excellent communication skills both written and oral.
· Minimum 1 year of experience developing and implementing community awareness, education, and youth programs specifically related to areas of public health.
· Positive attitude with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
· Required to live in 1 of the following counties: Gilmer, Braxton, Lewis, Upshur or Barbour Counties; and willing to travel throughout those counties for meetings and conferences as required by the grant.
· Ability to lift approximately 25 lbs. when assisting with local events.
All American Lung Association positions (Mid-Atlantic) require a criminal background check. Most positions require a valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance. A Child Abuse History Clearance is also required for some positions.
Comprehensive benefits package for full time positions includes medical, dental, and vision insurance. Life Insurance and additional voluntary life products available. Matching 403(b) and employer discretionary contribution available after 1 year of service. Generous amount of vacation, sick and holiday time.
Must be a non-smoker.
Interested candidates please submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume to:
American Lung Association in the Mid-Atlantic
Department of Human Resources
630 Churchmans Rd; Suite 202
Newark, DE 19702
Or e-mail your resume to: email@example.com
Donate, Volunteer or Support our Programs and Special Events! To learn how you can contribute, call, 1-800-LUNG-USA or visit www.lunginfo.org EOE
Trillium Performing Arts Collective is seeking an AmeriCorps volunteer for a one year period starting September to work with a community based nonprofit founded 1982. Responsibilities include: 1700 hours, coordinate volunteers, direct service with students, publicity and outreach, social media, graphic design, audio-visual tasks, coordinate camp, and required regional/statewide activities. Benefits include: training, responsibility, living stipend, educational award, health insurance, interest accrual and loan forbearance, travel and childcare assistance, supportive, creative work environment, with performance/teaching opportunities in certified, historic, downtown, award winning arts community. Please submit resume by June 30th toTrilliumbizwv@gmail.com or mail to 115 N Court St., Lewisburg, WV 24901. Website: www.trilliumperformingarts.org. Phone: 304.645.3003
Catholic Charities WV - Assistant Director of Programming
Catholic Charities WV is seeking an Assistant Director of Programming at the Catholic Charities Neighborhood Center. Responsibilities include oversight of case management, utility assistance, and financial literacy services, and family shelter program. Other job functions include supervision of the volunteer coordinator, new program development, and working with other agencies to ensure comprehensive service delivery. Full time position, Catholic Charities Neighborhood Center, 125-18th St., Wheeling, WV 26003. Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in social work or related field required. Supervisory experience preferred. The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work with persons of varied social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds. Submit a resume, cover letter, and three references by May 16, 2014 to: Catholic Charities Neighborhood Center, PO Box 6176, Wheeling, WV 26003.
Email Application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Job Posting”.
Catholic Charities West Virginia/Disaster Case Manager
Provides disaster case management for families impacted by Hurricane Sandy through home visits. Meets regularly with the CCWV Disaster Coordinator and Regional Director. Assists families with applications to eligible housing programs, assists clients with procurement of bids for necessary services for housing repairs; works with local social service agencies; oversees delivery of services; maintains all records and compiles reports as required by grantees, and CCWVa. Networks with other community-based groups, schools, churches, government and non-profit agencies. Part Time.
Location - Clarksburg area for Preston, Barbour and Marion Counties.
Qualifications - Ability to be bonded; knowledge in structural damage assessment/construction, prefer experience in disaster recovery, ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, self motivation, task and detailed oriented, knowledge of community resources and service groups, work in a team environment, must have a valid WV drivers license, own reliable transportation, work flexible hours, maintain client confidentiality, computer proficiency: database entry, MS Outlook, email, MSWord.
How to Apply - Send resume/cover letter to Janet Kelly email@example.com.
If you are interested in serving as an AmeriCorps member in West Virginia, click here.
Part-time Position, Regional
Supporting Emerging Appalachian Leaders (SEAL) is a network of organizations and institutions across Central Appalachia committed to emerging leadership as an essential, driving force toward a new, creative, and sustainable economy. SEAL works to address the need for committed, skilled and supported young leaders who are capable of transforming Appalachia. We want our network members to lead the region in finding spaces and places for emerging leaders to contribute, grow and thrive. SEAL currently consists of a nine member regional Coordinating Committee of which three members serve as the Steering Committee.
SEAL’s Coordinating Committee is comprised of the following groups: the Appalachian Coal Country Team (Beckley, WV), Appalshop (Whitesburg, KY), Emory & Henry College (Emory, VA), Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky (Chavies, KY), High Rocks Educational Corporation (Hillsboro, WV) Highlander Research and Education Center (New Market, TN), Socially Equal Energy Efficent Development (Knoxville, TN), STAY Project (regional), and West Virginia Community Development Hub (Mount Hope, WV).
SEAL seeks a part-time Coordinator for our network activities. The Coordinator will work closely with the Coordinating Committee as well as other network members to support emerging leadership within educational institutions, businesses, non-profits, and philanthropy. They will build organizational structures to improve internal and external communications as well as prompting cross-regional planning and activities. The SEAL Coordinator will report to SEAL’s Steering Committee.
· Schedule, attend, and facilitate Coordinating Committee meetings
· Assist in grant writing and reporting for SEAL
· Track financials of the network along with fiscal sponsor
· Develop network calendar for internal and external purposes
· Oversee network working groups ensuring accountability for action items
· Plan an annual public, regional gathering for current and new network members
· Develop a SEAL website and social media presence, manage content
· Produce materials for the network such as brochures, appeal letters, annual reports, etc.
· Represent SEAL in a variety of regional and national venues
· Create news releases and/or statements on behalf of SEAL in coordination with the Steering Committee
· SEAL seeks an applicant who understands leadership development, can work in teams, has strong writing and verbal skills, and has the ability to travel. We are looking for someone who has familiarity with the region and that has worked with and/or supported young leaders.
The SEAL Coordinator is a year-round, part-time position, salaried with full benefits.
SEAL is an equal opportunity employer, and its employment policies and practices are applicable to all employees without regard to race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, creed, disability or national origin.
Please send resume, cover letter, a two-page writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position will be open until filled, however, we expect to fill it by May 1 2014.
Almost Heaven Habitat for Humanity ReStore Manager
Almost Heaven Habitat for Humanity (AHHFH) is seeking a manager for its
Habitat ReStore location in White Sulphur
MISSION: Generate revenue, meet budgets and maintain profitability
objectives in support of AHHFH operations through the acquisition,
management, and marketing of ReStore products. Create positive visibility
and face of Habitat in the local community, presenting the mission and scope
of Habitat for Humanity International and its Affiliates.
POSITION SUMMARY: Implements and drives programs for donations. Provides
sustained Network development to expand the scope of Habitat ReStore
activities and develop long-term, collaborative relationships with community
based Trade/Business Groups, churches, donors and others to secure donations
and raise awareness of AHHFH’s mission in the community. Operations
management, including: consistent, safe and positive development of
Associates and assets in order to provide a high quality Donor to customer
experience. This is a part-time position, 32 hours per week.
Viable candidates will have the following skills:
• Solid application of interpersonal and communications skills,
internally and externally, with groups and individuals.
• The ability and willingness to call on existing and potential donors
to increase merchandise in the store.
• Demonstrated ability in training, managing, leading and developing
staff in a consistent, positive and safety conscious manner.
• Basic computer skills, including spreadsheets, word processing,
presentations and email.
• A history of successfully adapting to rapidly changing conditions
with unexpected shifts in priorities.
• Job could entail occasional bending, kneeling and reaching, often in
awkward or tiring positions. Bulk of time will be spent standing, walking
and otherwise assisting customers.
To apply, please send your resume to: Director of Development, Almost Heaven
Habitat for Humanity, PO Box 913, Franklin, WV 26807 or email
email@example.com. If you have any questions, please call the
affiliate’s home office at 304-358-7642. Resumes will be accepted until
February 7, 2014 at 4 PM.
Almost Heaven Habitat for Humanity is an equal opportunity employer and
seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our
positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any
person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age,
national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation,
veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic
protected by law.
Executive Director Position Open
The Tygart Valley Regional Child Advocacy Center is seeking a part-time Executive Director. Qualifications include: a Bachelor’s Degree, Masters preferred, in a related field, three years’ related experience in administration of a non-profit or public service agency preferred; strong skills in fiscal management, resource development and maintenance, agency and program planning and public relations. Three years’ experience working in a social services field preferred. Applicant must have the ability to communicate with, supervise and empower staff to be effective in their roles, and the ability to communicate and work collaboratively with variety of professionals from different fields. Applicant must also have knowledge and understanding of the issues and dynamics within families in crisis relating to child sexual and physical abuse and the legal process the child may be facing. Experience is required. Please mail your resume and cover letter to: Tygart Valley Regional Child Advocacy Center c/o The Preston County Commission, 106 W Main Street, Suite 202, Kingwood WV 26537, or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submissions is 2/14/2014.
With a limited philanthropic base, West Virginia has to work collaboratively among our non-profits and foundations/giving programs to ensure the greatest impact on improving the economic position of our neighbors in West Virginia. Philanthropy WV work and an involvement with a VISTA in 2014 – 2016 will aid our work to strengthen philanthropy’s service to those people in need, communities that are financially needy and distressed/at-risk, and growing the base of philanthropy and assistance to nonprofit organizations so that there can be greater assistance to the state’s poor and economically challenged communities.
The Mountain State needs more collaborative capacity among the philanthropic and non-profit communities.
The VISTA will report directly to the President of Philanthropy and will work collaboratively with the WVNPA Executive Director to enhance the state’s foundation and nonprofit community through education and outreach services as determined by the annual work plan and VISTA position goals.
Some of the types of activities the VISTA would be providing service on include:
a) Supporting Philanthropy WV’s membership development to engage new foundations to broaden the collaborative element between West Virginia’s grantmaking community to advance their impact on the state
b) Assisting the newly formed WV Nonprofit Association (WVNPA) network of non-profit organizations, grow its statewide network, and coordinate resource sharing that advances their individual and collective impact to improve the quality of life of the state’s citizens and communities
c) Identifying needs and program interests of funders and non-profit organizations to develop specific education and training programs to connect the resources needed, catalyze new thinking, support new and young practitioners, network with their peers, create new opportunities in West Virginia
d) Supporting the Philanthropy members in creating connections to explore what steps funders can take to strengthen economic opportunity, education, and health in West Virginia through shared measurement/collective learning collaboratives
e) Providing service jointly with Philanthropy WV and WVNPA to explore ways to educate funders and non-profits about the challenges and opportunities of collective impact initiatives and to track and share results of current initiatives in West Virginia.
f) Assisting with resource development by researching and writing grant proposals and other funding proposals to enhance the collaborative mission of Philanthropy WV, WV Non Profit Association, and partner organizations to strengthen their impact in responding to the needs of economically challenged communities and poor populations in the Mountain State
g) Coordinating program development around the growing interest for mentorship of new and young individuals working in the philanthropic and non-profit sectors
h) Coordinate Philanthropy WV and WVNPA’s social media activities, in accordance with the organization’s Social Media Policy, as a key way to increase public awareness and education about the critical role that the philanthropic/non-profit sector plays in supporting West Virginia’s communities.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, CAPABILITIES
· Strong commitment to and skill in providing excellent service
· Experience and/or willingness to network and build relationships
· Capacity to survey constituencies and develop needed trainings and programs to advance their providing service
· Experience w/social media like Facebook, Twitter, Linked in
· Ability to provide service well as part of a team, yet also be self‐motivated and serve independently
· Outstanding attention to detail – must enjoy being a nitpicker at times!
· Good writing skills appropriate for drafting proposals, emails, draft reports, etc.
· Proficient in using Windows Applications and office tools like Survey Monkey, e-newsletters, etc.
· Willingness to develop new skills as needed (training provided)
· Passion and commitment to West Virginia, rural issues, and non-profit/philanthropic sector
· Some experience with non-profit and/or philanthropic sector preferred
Please contact email@example.com to apply.
Vice President of Finance & Administration
At Goodwill Industries of Kanawha Valley, Inc., we assist people with disabilities or those who are otherwise vocationally disadvantaged to achieve full participation and integration into society through the power of work. Be a part of the Goodwill family where we train and lives change.
We envision persons with barriers to employment being able to choose rewarding employment, achieve financial security, and build careers and lives for themselves and their families, thus enriching our communities. We are looking for a high performance individual to fill a demanding position.
Vice President of Finance & Administration Summary:
This position is responsible to provide leadership, strategic direction and oversight to preserve and strengthen the infrastructure of Goodwill including, Finance, Information Technology and maintenance of agency owned and leased facilities.
Requirements for Vice President of Finance & Administration:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Ability to lead, plan, organize, direct and control the collection, summarization and interpretation of the financial data to achieve financial and mission related goals.
· Provides coordination and management of Finance, Risk Management, Information Technology and Facilities Management operations.
· Ability to develop strategy, implement plans, and analyze results of growth initiatives.
· In-depth knowledge of Federal, State and local laws, regulations and requirements affecting GIKV’s business operations.
· Experience with Federal and State agencies, outside auditors, Boards of Directors and legal counsel.
· Experience in managing activities in diverse disciplines and multiple departments.
· Ability to effectively manage activities in geographically dispersed locations.
· Ability to work with a high level of independence in non-routine, complex situations.
· Must be proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
· Have a working knowledge of accounting and human resource software applications. Example, Traverse.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Ability to convey a positive and professional image to employees, partner agencies and employers.
· Ability to motivate and inspire direct reports and teams to ensure positive learning environment.
· Ability to work flexible hours, meet deadlines, attend meetings and convene and facilitate groups.
· Ability to pass criminal background check.
· Ability to maintain confidential information.
· Ability to embrace and work effectively with diversity.
Education and Experience:
· Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or master’s degree in business administration or related field required.
· Minimum ten years of applicable experience in areas of accounting and finance.
· Minimum five years of leadership experience at senior management level.
· Must possess valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
This position is open in Charleston, WV
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Submit applications or resumes to Cheryl A. Bever, President/CEO:
215 Virginia Street, West
Charleston, WV 25302
KISRA is Hiring!
KISRA (Kanawha Institute for Social Research & Action, Inc) is currently hiring for 5 positions:
More information about each position is available on their website: KISRA Jobs
KISRA (Kanawha Institute for Social Research & Action, Inc.) is a faith-motivated, community development corporation. We empower West Virginians through an array of education, employment, economic empowerment and behavioral health services. Please refer to our web site (www.kisra.org) for more information about our organization. You may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, 304.768.8924 or at 131 Perkins Avenue, Dunbar, WV 25064.