This page connects communities with people and resources. If you have questions or contributions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
With a limited philanthropic base, West Virginia has to work collaboratively among our non-profits and foundations/giving programs to ensure the greatest impact on improving the economic position of our neighbors in West Virginia. Philanthropy WV work and an involvement with a VISTA in 2014 – 2016 will aid our work to strengthen philanthropy’s service to those people in need, communities that are financially needy and distressed/at-risk, and growing the base of philanthropy and assistance to nonprofit organizations so that there can be greater assistance to the state’s poor and economically challenged communities.
The Mountain State needs more collaborative capacity among the philanthropic and non-profit communities.
The VISTA will report directly to the President of Philanthropy and will work collaboratively with the WVNPA Executive Director to enhance the state’s foundation and nonprofit community through education and outreach services as determined by the annual work plan and VISTA position goals.
Some of the types of activities the VISTA would be providing service on include:
a) Supporting Philanthropy WV’s membership development to engage new foundations to broaden the collaborative element between West Virginia’s grantmaking community to advance their impact on the state
b) Assisting the newly formed WV Nonprofit Association (WVNPA) network of non-profit organizations, grow its statewide network, and coordinate resource sharing that advances their individual and collective impact to improve the quality of life of the state’s citizens and communities
c) Identifying needs and program interests of funders and non-profit organizations to develop specific education and training programs to connect the resources needed, catalyze new thinking, support new and young practitioners, network with their peers, create new opportunities in West Virginia
d) Supporting the Philanthropy members in creating connections to explore what steps funders can take to strengthen economic opportunity, education, and health in West Virginia through shared measurement/collective learning collaboratives
e) Providing service jointly with Philanthropy WV and WVNPA to explore ways to educate funders and non-profits about the challenges and opportunities of collective impact initiatives and to track and share results of current initiatives in West Virginia.
f) Assisting with resource development by researching and writing grant proposals and other funding proposals to enhance the collaborative mission of Philanthropy WV, WV Non Profit Association, and partner organizations to strengthen their impact in responding to the needs of economically challenged communities and poor populations in the Mountain State
g) Coordinating program development around the growing interest for mentorship of new and young individuals working in the philanthropic and non-profit sectors
h) Coordinate Philanthropy WV and WVNPA’s social media activities, in accordance with the organization’s Social Media Policy, as a key way to increase public awareness and education about the critical role that the philanthropic/non-profit sector plays in supporting West Virginia’s communities.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, CAPABILITIES
· Strong commitment to and skill in providing excellent service
· Experience and/or willingness to network and build relationships
· Capacity to survey constituencies and develop needed trainings and programs to advance their providing service
· Experience w/social media like Facebook, Twitter, Linked in
· Ability to provide service well as part of a team, yet also be self‐motivated and serve independently
· Outstanding attention to detail – must enjoy being a nitpicker at times!
· Good writing skills appropriate for drafting proposals, emails, draft reports, etc.
· Proficient in using Windows Applications and office tools like Survey Monkey, e-newsletters, etc.
· Willingness to develop new skills as needed (training provided)
· Passion and commitment to West Virginia, rural issues, and non-profit/philanthropic sector
· Some experience with non-profit and/or philanthropic sector preferred
Please contact email@example.com to apply.
Vice President of Finance & Administration
This position is open in Charleston, WV
At Goodwill Industries of Kanawha Valley, Inc., we assist people with disabilities or those who are otherwise vocationally disadvantaged to achieve full participation and integration into society through the power of work. Be a part of the Goodwill family where we train and lives change.
We envision persons with barriers to employment being able to choose rewarding employment, achieve financial security, and build careers and lives for themselves and their families, thus enriching our communities. We are looking for a high performance individual to fill a demanding position.
Vice President of Finance & Administration Summary:
This position is responsible to provide leadership, strategic direction and oversight to preserve and strengthen the infrastructure of Goodwill including, Finance, Information Technology and maintenance of agency owned and leased facilities.
Requirements for Vice President of Finance & Administration:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Ability to lead, plan, organize, direct and control the collection, summarization and interpretation of the financial data to achieve financial and mission related goals.
· Provides coordination and management of Finance, Risk Management, Information Technology and Facilities Management operations.
· Ability to develop strategy, implement plans, and analyze results of growth initiatives.
· In-depth knowledge of Federal, State and local laws, regulations and requirements affecting GIKV’s business operations.
· Experience with Federal and State agencies, outside auditors, Boards of Directors and legal counsel.
· Experience in managing activities in diverse disciplines and multiple departments.
· Ability to effectively manage activities in geographically dispersed locations.
· Ability to work with a high level of independence in non-routine, complex situations.
· Must be proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
· Have a working knowledge of accounting and human resource software applications. Example, Traverse.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Ability to convey a positive and professional image to employees, partner agencies and employers.
· Ability to motivate and inspire direct reports and teams to ensure positive learning environment.
· Ability to work flexible hours, meet deadlines, attend meetings and convene and facilitate groups.
· Ability to pass criminal background check.
· Ability to maintain confidential information.
· Ability to embrace and work effectively with diversity.
Education and Experience:
· Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or master’s degree in business administration or related field required.
· Minimum ten years of applicable experience in areas of accounting and finance.
· Minimum five years of leadership experience at senior management level.
· Must possess valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Submit applications or resumes to Cheryl A. Bever, President/CEO:
215 Virginia Street, West
Charleston, WV 25302
The West Virginia Commission for National and Community Service is seeking two VISTAs to place with Mountain Hospice and with In Touch and Concerned beginning in February 2014. Veterans and members of military families are encouraged to apply. Descriptions of these opportunities are below.
Mountain Hospice is based in Barbour County, WV and covers a 7 county region. The VISTA project will focus on establishing outreach to all veterans in the area, but especially those who are homeless or living in poverty. Veterans will receive information about VA benefits for end of life care through community education presentations.
Working with the We Honor Veterans program, this VISTA will:
In Touch and Concerned is based in Morgantown, WV and provides services in a 5 county region. The Transportation Program is the largest and most successful program In Touch and Concerned offers. It is the specific intent of this program to prevent the elderly and adult disabled veterans of this region from entering into poverty due to a lack of reliable, affordable transportation to medical, dental, and mental health appointments and other necessary outings into the community.
Working with the transportation program of this agency, the VISTA will:
To apply for these positions, visit the My AmeriCorps website at the following links:
Mountain Hospice link: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=52811
KISRA is Hiring!
KISRA (Kanawha Institute for Social Research & Action, Inc) is currently hiring for 5 positions:
More information about each position is available on their website: KISRA Jobs
KISRA (Kanawha Institute for Social Research & Action, Inc.) is a faith-motivated, community development corporation. We empower West Virginians through an array of education, employment, economic empowerment and behavioral health services. Please refer to our web site (www.kisra.org) for more information about our organization. You may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, 304.768.8924 or at 131 Perkins Avenue, Dunbar, WV 25064.